CALL US NOW ON 0330 055 3444 OR

Tradesman and construction

Businessinsure at Jelf Clark Thomson can offer a unique package of cover tailored to suit your business requirements weather you are a sole trader, partnerships or limited company.

We know that it is important that we design a policy to match your individual requirements. That means, no matter how complex your business, we can arrange suitable cover.

Polices start with basic public liability insurance and can  be tailored to include covers such as Employers liability, contract works and much more. Lets explore what some of these covers are.

Public Liability

All tradesmen and construction policies will start with the inclusion of public liability insurance. This provides cover for the legal costs and compensation costs for third party bodily injury and third party property damage.

Whilst Public liability is not a compulsory insurance it is fundamental to running your business and protects your company finances in the event of an incident where you are found to be at fault.

For more information and frequently asked questions about public liability you can read more here

Employers Liability

Employers liability is a compulsory insurance and is required by law if you have any employees, whether they are full time, part time, labour only or temporary staff you are legally bound to carry this insurance and can face fines of up to £2,500 a day.

Employers liability covers the cost of compensation for your employees in the event that they are injured or suffer a work related illness arising from their employment with you.

For more information on your requirements to carry Employers liability read our key facts here

Personal Accident

Personal accident cover pays compensation for accidental death and injury sustained to you which means that you are unable to work, cover can also be taken out to protect key staff and can provide cover for incidents caused outwith the work place.

Cover for personal accident protects your business by providing financial compensation either in a lump sum or weekly pay outs to help cover the loss of income following an injury.

For more information on personal accident cover and frequently asked questioned you can find out more here 


Tools, Own Plant and Hired in Plant

If you are a contractor or tradesman it’s likely that you will own hand tools or large plant and may also hire plant from a third party. These items may often be stored in compounds, left at third party premises when carrying out a contract or within your own vehicles.

If these items were lost stolen or damaged how easily could you replace them? Plant insurance can cover the cost of replacement of items belonging to you and can also pay the continuous hiring charges that would be imposed by the hirer under the agreed hiring conditions.

We also understand that whilst having the correct cover is key the most important part is ensuring you have adequate cover. So we would always encourage you to ensure you have the correct values insured for all eventualities from small claims to total losses, you may well be surprised at how much your tools would cost to replace them all.

Contract Works

Contract works insurance is a property insurance designed for contractors and tradesmen to protect the works that they are undertaking on site or third party premises.

In the event of a loss by an insured peril such as fire, flood, storm, malicious damage or theft this cover would pay to repair or redo the work that was in progress prior to the loss or damage.

For example a contractor building an extension to a house which suffers storm damage prior to completion, this cover would pay to reinstate the work up to the point of the damage which would include the cost of additional labor and materials.

Contract works cover is usually calculated on the maximum sums insured of any one build/contract and does not cover any existing structures.

Commercial Vehicles

If you are self employed or own a small contracting company the chances are you will have a commercial vehicle or maybe even a few.

Commercial vehicle insurance is available for a wide range of vehicles types and client requirements. Whether you have a standard van, pick up or special types vehicles such as forklifts and diggers we can provide cover for single vehicles or policies catering for multiple vehicles.

Just some of the trades we can arrange cover for:

  • Builders
  • Joiners
  • Carpet fitters
  • Roofing contractors
  • Plumbing and heating engineers
  • Groundwork contractors
  • Electricians
  • Window fitters
  • and much much more
Call us on 0330 055 3444 or