CALL US NOW ON 0330 055 3444 OR

Retail and Shop Insurance

Businessinsure at Jelf Clark Thomson understand that every shop and salon provide something unique for their customers. From the local shop to high street retailers or multi-location businesses, we have shop insurance policies that can be tailored to your requirements whilst protecting your assets, earnings and your liabilities. 

Finding the right policy doesn’t need to be a lengthy or complex process. As one of the UK’s largest independent business insurance brokers, we have access to a wide range of insurers.  

We’re confident that, whatever your retail insurance needs, we can find a competitive policy, with the right levels of cover.  

We have a team of insurance broking professionals, ready to provide you with a shop insurance quote. We find the personal touch is best and like to speak to all potential customers, looking for a quote.  

 Please either call us, or send a brief email and we’ll get back to you. 

Whether you’re looking for a comparison quote against your current insurance renewal, or you’re just starting out on your retail adventure, please get in touch.

What covers are included in a retail insurance policy?

Most insurers offer packaged shop insurance policies, providing the cover most retailers will need, this will include:- 

  • Buildings
  • Tenants improvements
  • Fixed and shop front glass
  • General contents
  • Computers and tills (including software)
  • Stock  
  • Business interruption  
  • Money
  • Goods & stock in transit 
  • Loss of frozen or refrigerated stock by deterioration 
  • Employers liability
  • Public liability 
  • Product liability 
  • Commercial legal expenses
  • Loss of liquor licence 
  • Terrorism

What types of shops can we insure?

We aim to provide quotes for most types of UK based retailers, please see our separate page for the full range of shops we can provide quotes for.

What about online retail insurance?

We understand that many shops now combine face to face trading with online sales, don’t worry we’ve got that covered too. We can also cover businesses who retail to overseas customers.

Key issues to consider

When arranging shop insurance, you will need to consider:- 

  • Covers that are required by law, for example third party motor and employers liability insurance 
  • Covers you may contractually require, such as buildings insurance (if your lease requires you to) or equipment insurance, for items leased or hired by you  
  • Covers that a sensible or prudent business person will arrange to protect their assets and to cover any liability insurance claims. 

If you’re unsure what covers you need, or whether your current cover is adequate, please speak to one of our specialist advisers. 

Bespoke cover for larger businesses and those that carry out non-retail activities as well as traditional retailing.

We’ve mentioned above that most insurers have packaged shop insurance policies. These policies are great for the majority of retail outlets. However, we know that one size does not fit all and there are times when a packaged policy may not be suitable.  

Where this is the case, we can arrange quotes under a commercial combined insurance policy.  

There are a menu of covers available and we pick and choose those that are needed, for your particular business.

Payment options

Many businesses choose to spread their payment over a number of months. Many of our insurers offer interest free instalments. If interest free is not available, we can offer instalments via a third party premium finance provider.

We’ll provide you with the options, when we confirm our quote.  

Cover for business cars and vans

Business motor insurance is not included in a shop policy. You will need to arrange a separate car, van or fleet insurance for your business vehicles. We can provide quotes too, please let us know when you call. 

Claims information

You take out an insurance policy for one main reason, to provide protection in the event of a claim you make, or a claim made against you. 

You should be aware of steps you need to take, for different types of claims, whoever you are insured with. More information is available here.   

Intruder alarms and physical security

Any shop insurance policy, will have a requirement that the business premises are protected by a certain level of security.

All business insurance policies, where there are assets (ie business contents, stock or computers) will contain details of the Minimum Level of Security.

This will specify the type of security that is needed, such as:-

Key operated window locks, for accessible (usually ground floor) windows only.

Certain types of door locks (usually a five lever Mortice Lock) or multi-point locking system (usually for UPVC doors)

Increased Level of Security

Where the amount of stock, computers or contents exceeds certain levels, insurers may insist on increased levels physical security.

Every business insurance company will have different views on what security is required. It is important that you read through any quotation provided, to ensure that you are aware of the security required. You may find that one insurer will insist on an intruder alarm and another, whose premium is slightly higher, may be happy without an intruder alarm.

In the event of a loss, for example from a break in, if your premises do not meet the level of security specified in your policy, your claim may not be met.

If you are in any doubt as to what security is required, you should discuss this with your business insurance broker.

Additional information

When starting or running a business, there are many factors you need to consider, aside from insurance. Please follow the following links for more information  

The Health and Safety Executive has a separate section for the retail industry

The Fire Safety Advice Centre have specific advice for shops

The UK Government website provides links to free business support in England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales

We can arrange cover for:

  • Buildings
  • Business interruption
  • Legal expenses
  • Treatment liability
  • Contents
  • Public liability
  • Goods in transit
  • Products liability
  • Stock
  • Employers liability
  • Money
Call us on 0330 055 3444 or